Spotlight on Eastgate Shops
Featured in the Daily Telegraph,
Eastgate in Louth is fast becoming recognised as one of
Englands finest "real food" streets. No fewer than 5
butchers survive along its length attributed mainly by the
quality of the meat they sell and the loyalty of local
customers and an ever increasing number of tourists visiting
"the capital of the Wolds".
The street is a fascinating window
into days gone by with Victoriana shop fronts along its entire
length and hundreds of Georgian terraces. Eastgate is bisected
by the Greenwich meridian line separating the north and south
hemispheres and boasts the site of the former printing works
of one of Alfred Lord Tennysons first publications. At
the top of the street is the impressive landmark of St James
church, its spire the tallest parish church spire in England
with King Edward VI grammar school nearby (former scholars
include Captain John Smith of Pocahontas fame and Tennyson). A
number of fine examples of Georgian architecture exist
especially Louth Mansion house and further down the Manor
Visitors have been attracted to Louth
in recent years by a number of articles in the national press.
All Seasons Holidays, the self catering holiday of the year
for the region opposite the Louth manor house was featured for
its restoration work and the entire town came 4th as the best
place to live in the UK in a recent Daily telegraph article.
Eastgate has a number of delightful
shops for the visitor with "Dragonfly" selling gifts
and some stunning and unusual mirrors and soft furnishings, an
excellent clothes boutique for men and women at Forbes and a
number of shoe and handbag shops specialising in designer
Louths museum is on
Broadbank and has been several years in the making.
March 2006 the museum is a far cry from many stuffy Victorian
Louths museum has had
considerable time and money spent refurbishing and extending
and it is now a museum to be proud of.
The museum is small but will
still entertain the visitor for an hour or so. The panoramic was painted in 1840 by William
Brown who was a house painter and reporter and took the
opportunity to paint the views from the scaffolding around the
spire during some restoration work.
Click on below for a closer look at
Also featured are a working printing
press, artifacts from Roman and Medieval period and many items
associated with the Georgian and Victorian period.
Of particular interest is the
wonderful architecture of this quirky Edwardian building
including the internal balustrade and the fine display
featuring the 1920s flood disaster.
Louth Museum, 4 Broadbank, Louth
Lincs, Lincolnshire, LN11 0EQ
telephone 01507 601211
The parish church has
the tallest spire (295 feet) of any medieval parish church in
the country. It is featured in Sir Simon Jenkin's
book, England's 1000 Best Churches.
Visitors are welcomed
by a guide and can enjoy tea and cake in the cafe under the tower. St Stephen's chapel is set aside for
reflection and prayer with aids to contemplation and prayer
Of Particular Note is
the tower which one can climb for £1 the view is fantastic
and is a photographers dream. caution is needed though as the
steps are steep and uneven and they go on and on and on .....
View from Tower along
first Monday in April until Christmas
10:30am to 4:00pm
Christmas until the first Monday of April
Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
8:00am to 12:00 noon
on the South West edge of Louth Lincs with access from the
Louth bypass via Horncastle Road (A153) and Halfpenny Lane
(first turn left travelling towards Louth) parking at the
bottom of the Hills or from Louth using Crowtree Lane and
following this road to the car park.
beautiful ravine and riverside walk is stunning at any time
of year. It is busy with local families and children playing
in the cool water of the river Lud during any hot summer but
it is out of season when it comes into its own.
Autumn the trees are glowing in reds and browns and golds
and in winter the area is a haven for birds. Indeed there is
sign here which says "Please feed the birds".
Café (privately operated)
Open Grass Areas
Valley Top Walks
Paddling Area in River/Duck Feeding
Varied Levels of Access
On site parking.
On site toilets open through the day.
Situated near Ludborough just 5 miles
north of Louth off the A16 to Grimsby.
The Lincolnshire Wolds Railway is the
only standard gauge steam railway in Lincolnshire open to the
The location is part of the original
Great Northern Railway, which opened in 1848.
The line has now been extended
towards North Thoresby and are continuing to lay more track as
North East Lincolnshire
Telephone 01507 363881
Situated at North Cockerington. A
great family day out set in the 5 acre grounds of a Grade II
Visitors will find an extensive
collection of rare, ornamental and traditional breeds of
domestic fowl. There are herb gardens, a children's play area
and also many baby animals to hold. The wildlife pond is a
haven for wild birds and many different species. Amongst the
regular visitors to the pond are dragonflies, water vole and
As well as a picnic area, there are
tearooms, and surplus stock and plants are available to buy.
Open Easter to end October
daily 10am-6pm/ November to Easter: weekends 10am-4pm
Tel: 01507 327184
The trust is based at
the Navigation Warehouse along the canal adjacent to the
Woolpack Public House.
The trust has an
ambitious project to one day re-open the canal. The canal is
an ideal spot for a leisurely walk from Louth to Alvingham,
the Pub is an ideal finishing point and the walk is about 6
miles there and back
Louth Navigation Trust,
Louth Lincs, LN11 0DA
As the name suggests this ancient
street stretches from upgate and leads on towards the East
side of town. Eastgate is the back bone of the town and
features many of Louths most famous shops and establishments.
Along the way one can find one of Louths oldest public houses,
Ye Olde Whyte Swan and the Townhall.
At 112 Eastgate is a blue plaque
commemorating the first currys electrical store which started
life as a cycle shop at 112 and a half Eastgate.
All Seasons Holidays are situated
along Eastgate opposite The Louth Manor House.
The meridian line bisects the street
nearby and further out towards the East past the war memorial
was the former house of Correction which are now peaceful
almshouses surrounded by doves.
Nearby is the Priory Hotel Louth were
the artist and architect, Thomas Espin is buried in his own
mausoleum in the grounds. Further down is the Lincolnshire
Poacher Hotel Louth.
There are a huge range of shops along
this street in particular Forbes & Son ladies and menswear
, Lakins and Jacksons the butchers and the cheese shop as well
as a host of others. The street is well served with places to
eat and drink including the Tai Pan Chinese Restaurant,
Serendpity Restaurant, The Woodman pub and packhorse pub.
Bargain of the day has to be the
small fish and chips for under £2 to take away at Parkinson
fish and chip shop on Eastgate, the haddock melts in your
mouth - lovely and locally sourced from Grimsby too!.
Standing majestically for all to see
near the town end of Westgate is St. James Church with its
enormous spire. From the tower one can get a splendid view of
all the houses.
View of Westgate from St. James
Within its shadow is the Wheatsheaf
Pub and the towns tennis courts. The pub is a favourite
meeting place and is often busy.
A stroll along Westgate will
lead one to an alley called Westgate Place which is a
delightful pedestrian back lane filled with little private
back gardens with potted plants and Victorian lanterns along
its whitewashed walls.
Westgate house is situated opposite
as well as a number of other delightful Georgian properties.
Continue along towards the west were
one comes to Westgate fields. Here the path takes you to
Hubbards Hills and into the Wolds.
In association with English Heritage.
Recently opened to the public an outstanding Grade II property
following restoration to a dwelling.
Grade II* Georgian town house
in brick and stone, with 1775 neo-classical additions and
proto-Regency remodelling c1799 on the Westgate façade.
Interior contains fine plasterwork, mahogany doors, Carrara
fireplaces and other fine details. Used as a school 1937-1980s
but now in course of restoration as a residence by the present
owners, after dereliction.
Open: Easter Monday to end of
September Wed and Sat only 11.30-4.30
telephone. Mr and Mrs Byrne 01507
Cadwell Park is one of
British motorsport's best-kept secrets, despite the fact it
has hosted car, bike and kart races since its creation.
The land on which the
circuit stands was originally purchased in 1926 by Mr.
Mansfield Wilkinson, who bought the land for shooting upon.
However, his son Charles persuaded his father to let him run a
motorcycle meeting on the land in 1934, and this was the first
circuit used at Cadwell Park. The corners of Charlies, Chris
and Mansfield all celebrate the founders in the Wilkinson
family, who once had Cadwell park offices at 140 Eastgate,
Louth - now All Seasons Holidays.
For 1952, the circuit
was extended to one and a quarter miles with the addition of
Mansfield Corner. Some of the motorcycle meetings also
featured Formula 3 races. However, regular car meetings didn't
take place until May 1962, after Charles Wilkinson purchased
some adjoining land and extended the circuit length to 2.176
mile/ 3.49 km. Cadwell Park was then purchased by Grovewood
Securities, before becoming part of the Brands Hatch Leisure
A combination of long
fast curves and some very tricky tight bends, hills with a
nasty hairpin. The track can be split into two main sections,
the section from Coppice through to Chris Curve (Club Circuit)
is fairly simple but the section from Gooseneck through to
Barn requires a lot of concentration, a lot of accidents occur
at this section.
As well as the VSCC's
annual visit in June and the Radical Festival in August,
Cadwell's highlight of the season will be the British
Superbike meeting on the August Bank Holiday weekend. This is
when the circuit's true character comes out. Car or bike,
Cadwell sorts the men from the boys.
From the North; Approach using the
M180 southbound and follow signs to Humberside Airort. Take
the A18, then the A16 to Louth and from there follow the
A153 towards Horncastle.
Cadwell Park Circuit
Lincolnshire LN11 9SE
Tel: 01507 343248
Fax: 01507 343519